Join our team of happy volunteers who keep the Cowichan Estuary Nature Centre going and improving. No special qualifications are required, training is provided.
Nature Interpreter/Centre Volunteer
What: The Cowichan Estuary Nature Centre welcomes thousands of visitors every year. From repeat families, to travellers from afar, all are welcomed into the space to explore their curiosity and questions of the estuary and its inhabitants.
Who: Open to youth (16+) and adults (a child or grandchild is welcome to accompany) who have a love for nature, and a desire to share. No nature interpretation experience necessary, just a desire to learn and share.
We offer two roles in the nature centre:
- Nature Centre Interpreter: Opens and closes the nature centre (Cash/debit transactions, sets up float, Opens/closes building)
- Secondary Nature Interpreter: Welcomes visitors to the space, can guide nature walks, set up bird tower, run activities as wanted/needed
Length of volunteer shift: 2 hours + 10 mins for open/close (Nature Centre Interpreter role only). Shifts are split from 12-2 & 2-4
Volunteer commitment: We ask that volunteers sign up as a:
- Regular volunteer – committing to a regular shift (once a week, biweekly, or once a month)
- Or Flex volunteer – filling in gaps as regular volunteers are away
School Program Volunteer
What: Every year we hosts hundreds of school children at the Nature Centre, and in Hecate Park, guiding them to explore the shore to sea. Our 1.5 hour programs are lead by our amazing Educators, and supporting by our School Program Volunteers.
Who: We are looking for adults with a delight in the outdoors, an interest in sharing nature, and a love for supporting kids/youth learn.
Length of volunteer shift: 2 hours (program runs 1.5 hours, volunteers arrive 15 minutes early and 15 minutes post to help with set up/clean up
Volunteer commitment: School program season runs from September – November and March – June. We ask that volunteers sign up for a fall or spring season.
Restoration Program Volunteer
What: Every year we work with partnering organizations on restoration projects of the estuary and riparian zones up stream
Who: We are looking for adults (and families) who enjoy getting their hands dirty, love community projects and co-creating a lasting impact.
Length of volunteer shift: 2-3 hrs
Volunteer commitment: Restoration projects occur year round, and most often in the spring or fall but sometimes in the summer. You can sign up for individual sessions.
Learn more about our restoration work
UPCOMING Public DATES
- Are you handy with a paint brush or a hammer? Help with maintenance and improvements at the Cowichan Estuary Nature Centre
- Help create new interpretive displays, bringing your arts, crafts, building, and design skills to scientific and environmental education.
- Join one of our other citizen science activities.
- Join a committee to help operate, manage or raise funds to support the Nature Centre.
- Help put on a fundraising event