With 6,000 visitors each year, the Cowichan Estuary Nature Centre is a popular attraction for young children, students, tourists, and local residents. We are run by a team of generous and talented volunteers, and we depend on donations from individuals and businesses to run our programs and keep our doors open. We can’t do it without you!
We believe that by engaging people in opportunities to be curious, physically connect with and learn about the Cowichan Estuary, they will come to love, care for and want to protect this special ecosystem, as well as other natural places.
Providing interactive opportunities for all ages to learn about the estuary, its watershed, marine and bird life, and natural and cultural history, offering programs for school classes, and engaging youth groups in habitat restoration projects, the work of the Nature Centre is supported by individual donors and is also an excellent community partnership opportunity for companies seeking to profile their commitment to social and environmental responsibility.
How do I donate?
1. ONLINE You can become a supporter by making a one-time or monthly donation, and even become a member (by making an online donation of $30 or more, putting “membership” in the comment box and filing out a membership application). with a donationonline through a trusted and secure website called ‘Canada Helps’. Click here to show your support.
2. IN PERSON Please bring your donation to the Nature Centre, or send a cheque, payable to the Cowichan Estuary Nature Centre, to:Cowichan Estuary Nature Centre Box 5 Cowichan Bay Rd Cowichan Bay, BC V9L 1N0 CANADA 3. CALL US and have a conversation – Our relationships with our supporters and donors are important to us. We couldn’t do what we do without without you. We want to hear from you and find out more about why our work at the Estuary Nature Centre matters to you. Give us a call at 250-597-2288 and we’ll make a date for you to have a conversation with a member of our team.
Some Ways to Become an Estuary Nature Centre Sponsor
• Program Sponsorship supports our school-curriculum-linked education programs and our summer nature and science camps for children. Program sponsors get onsite brand recognition as well on our website and via social media so the public is aware of your support for the Centre.
• Exhibit Sponsorship is an opportunity to show support for one of the Nature Centre’s ongoing exhibits. For example, Aquarium and Touch Tank sponsors help us cover the care and feeding of over 20 species of inter-tidal sea creatures in this well-loved exhibit, as well regular aquarium maintenance.
We are happy to recognize program and exhibit sponsors at the Centre, on our website, and through social media. We’ll also send you updates on how your support is making a difference, including our annual report, invite you to Cowichan Estuary Nature Centre events, and connect with your personally to see if there are other ways you would like to be involved.
Become a member of the Society
If you would like to become a member of the Cowichan Estuary Nature Centre Society you will receive the Centre’s Annual Report and have be invited to participate and vote at our Annual General Meeting. You can apply for membership by ticking the membership box on the donation form (minimum donation for membership $20). Membership applications are approved by the Centre’s Board of Directors as required in our bylaws.
Supporters and members can also get more involved by volunteering, including joining one of our Centre Volunteer Teams.
Other ways to support the Centre’s work
In addition to a one-time online or cash donation, you can support the Nature Centre in other ways:
- Make a monthly donation. Monthly donors allow us to plan ahead and develop new programming because we know that we can count on your monthly support.
- Consider a bequest to the Estuary Nature Centre Society when preparing your will.
- Donations of securities can have extra tax benefits. Talk to your accountant or financial advisor.
Thanks to Our Founding Donors
This is a picture of the Founding Donors’ Wall on the outside of the Nature Centre (click image to enlarge). These organizations and individuals came forward with major contributions of $1,000 or more for the construction of the Nature Centre. Without their support and the help of many other people, the Nature Centre would not have been possible.