Cowichan Estuary Nature Centre (CENC) Project Assistant
Hours:18 hours a week
Anticipated start date: As soon as possible
Contract: 24 months
Project Description: The “Conserving & Protecting Cowichan Fresh Water for a Climate Resilient Future” project is aimed at engaging youth and communities in the Cowichan Valley to produce measurable results in conserving and protecting freshwater aquatic habitat and building climate resilience in the Cowichan and Koksilah Watersheds through leadership training, educational workshops, awareness-raising activities, and effective hands-on water conservation and restoration projects in the two watershed that converge at the Cowichan Estuary
Project Support Job Description: The CENC Project Assistant works under the direction and supervision of the CENC Coordinator and the CENC Board President. They will function as a key resource for the project’s success by means of working on project administration, program and workshop organization and support, co-coordination of conservation and restoration action days and tracking data to measure project success through evaluations and other metrics (including volunteer hours, areas of restoration work completed, survival of riparian plantings over two years, etc.). They will assist in overall project communications and outreach, and volunteer support.
- Project-related CENC website (WordPress) updates.
- Assist with communication and outreach, including creating event posters and other graphic communications, slide shows and reports.
- Update media contacts, draft media releases, and track earned media.
- Assist the coordinator in planning and implement action days and workshops.
- Communicate with members and supporters via email using MailChimp & Sumac software.
- Maintain information systems: monthly statistics, member,supporter and volunteer lists, and ensure data is entered into the database.
- Assist with financial recordkeeping, and reporting pertaining to the project.
- Maintain CENC supplies and equipment for the project.
- Respond to phone calls, emails and general inquiries.
- Assist the project education team as needed.
- Assist with maintenance of CENC databases.
- Communicate with project volunteers, ensure volunteer coverage for assistance with the project.
- Assist with other Nature Centre activities and duties as needed and time is available.
- Experience working in non-profit administration in either a volunteer or professional capacity. Diploma in Office Administration or a related discipline an asset.
- Education, or work experience relating to ecological restoration or citizen science, permaculture, marine/coastal ecosystems.
- Experience working or volunteering in a non-profit environment.
- Demonstrated organizational and planning skills, ability to meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Flexibility, initiative, creativity and problem solving skills.
- Proficiency with MS Office including Excel, Word, Access, Publisher and PowerPoint.
- Ability to design and create simple and attractive posters and graphics.
- Experience with online newsletter platforms such as MailChimp.
- Experience with social media and online engagement.
- Experience with donor management software, such as MS Dynamics, Salesforce, or Sumac.
- Website experience, preferably on a WordPress platform.
How to Apply: Ensure that your resume shows how your skills and experiences apply to the qualifications (above). Please submit your resume, cover letter and references via email by 11:59pm on July 17, 2019
Email resume to Alicia Taylor at email@example.com with subject heading: Project Assistant Application. Use this format for your resume filename: LastName_FirstName_Application_2019.
We thank all those who apply for their interest in our organization; only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.